The Castillo Family....La familia Castillo

To our family and friends all over the world....A nuestra familia y amigos en todo el mundo.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Yummm pupusas






It's been a great weekend with my 2 favorite people -- my honey and my baby. Wil and I haven't had a relaxing weekend in so long, so I have really looked forward to this. Friday night we had a goodbye dinner with my mom's fiance (Ron) who is going back to finish his school year in California and Saturday we spent most of the day at home, but in the evening we went out for pupusas (Salvadoran tortillas filled with cheese, beans, etc. and fried)! We had been craving pupusas (they are El Salvador's best kept secret -- like KC BBQ) for a while. It had almost been 2 years since I had had pupusas and Wil suggested we try and find some.

Just to be honest, we were both a little scared of where we would find them. What the restaurant would be like and in what kind of neighborhood. So, at about 7 pm (typical late Salvadoran dinner) we ventured out and found a place on Independence Ave. Now granted the place was among several international restaurants. But we had real pupusas! They were actually good. Now there is a rivalry between Honduras (this was actually a Honduran restaurant) and El Salvador and who actually invented the pupusa, but to me, they don't taste that much different. Anyway, they had a few things missing. The cortido (okay to those who don't know what this is, it's the "cabbage-like" stuff that you put on top of the pupusa) and the sauce. They served them on the plate with the pupusa. Maybe it's just me, but I missed having that huge jar of cortido on the table and the ketchup bottle of salsa. I also missed eating at a picnic table fully decked out with a plastic table cloth and dirt floor, but maybe that's just be reminiscing. However, they did serve our pop in glass bottles with even a little rust on the rim. :) Gotta love imports!
Overall, it did give me a little flavor of El Salvador that I've been missing and Elisa even liked the little bit that she tried. What a true Salvadoran.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the best Amy!!! Lo salvadoreño e lleva en la sangre y en el corazón!!! Tú lo llevas en el corazón y Elisa lo tendrá en ambos!!! Gracias por enseñarle a tu bebita a amar sus raices desde la cuna!!! TE LO DICE UNA 100% SALVADOREÑA, QUE RE AMO MI PAIS!!!!!!
Ninette

8:05 PM  
Blogger michelle.valle said...

AGREE!
100% SALVADOREÑA Y AMO A MI PAIS

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker