The Castillo Family....La familia Castillo

To our family and friends all over the world....A nuestra familia y amigos en todo el mundo.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Mr. Don Juan

You know these moments are funny to me, when you have heard a phrase or a word and thought you knew it's meaning and then something happens and you think, "THAT'S what it means?!" It all started as this past week Wil's dad has been visiting us. So, good 'ol Amy has had to practice her very formal spanish. For those spanish speaking gringos out there, you know what it is like to have to switch from using tu and usted all the time. Yes, I know there are times that I have asked Israel (Wil's dad) such things as to "sit down," or "ya wanna drink?" in a very informal way, instead of the typical very formal spanish way of "please have a seat," or "would you like something to drink." And I am sure inside he just smiles at me...thank goodness he kind of likes me since I am the mom of his first grandchild. :)

Anyway, the "ah ha moment" came when I realized last night that in spanish my dad's name is the name of a cigar, beer, some sort of band and basically a casanova. Yes, if you put the title "Don" in front of a man's name it is a title of respect, and then follow it by Don Juan (John, my dad's name). There you have it. My dad (and he never knew it) is a Don Juan! :) It definitely gave several of us a good laugh last night at the Fourth of July BBQ. So that's his new family nickname.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ninette said...

¡¡¡¡Pobrecito tu papá Amy!!!!! Pero peor para su esposa!!! JAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!!
Un Don Juan es un hombre muy coqueto con las damas, muy conquistador, con MUCHAS novias!!!! Eso está muy divertido!!
Sigue paracticando tu español, y recuerda que para nosotros los errores en el español de los gringos, son más bien "cute"!!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ninette said...

Perdón!!! ves, hasta un hispano parlante se equivoca!! quise decir PRACTICANDO no paraticando!! JA!!!!!

Love ya!!!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker